The bottle, according to the ABC, is not the problem.
The ABC reports that the tip from Dr. Roberta Kowalski of the Children’s Hospital of Melbourne is that a toddler should be able to “use their own” bottle and not “go with the flow” of a bottle.
Kowalskis tip also suggests a toddler who has not yet learned how to open their own bottle should try to “get used to the smell” of the bottle and that the baby should be aware of the potential for the bottle to catch fire. “
Just make sure you don’t give your baby the finger.”
Kowalskis tip also suggests a toddler who has not yet learned how to open their own bottle should try to “get used to the smell” of the bottle and that the baby should be aware of the potential for the bottle to catch fire.
If the child’s bottle is not opened properly, “it may just explode and burn,” the doctor says.
But the ABC reports the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare says that the bottle can be a safety risk for children and young people.
“If a child is accidentally putting their own water bottle in the dishwasher, it’s probably a better idea to let the dishwashing machine do its job and close off the faucet before the child throws it away,” Dr. John Burdett from the Institute said.
Dr. Burdetts recommended using a bottle for children with a limited vocabulary or limited hearing.
“In those children, it may be difficult for them to understand what’s happening and to take a quick look around, so a bottle can provide an excellent opportunity for children to develop some of the necessary social skills that they need to cope with the situation,” he said.